- Whistler, British Columbia
Thirty years ago, the site of the current Whistler Village was a municipal sanitation site for the City of Vancouver. Today, Whistler hosts approximately 5.5 million international tourists per year.
Whistler Mountain is located in the resort town of Whistler, 125 kilometres north of Vancouver. Officially opened to the public in 1966, it gained instant acclaim as home to the largest vertical drop in North America. In 1980, Whistler introduced a new village at the base between the Whistler and Blackcomb mountains and neighbouring Blackcomb Mountain opened for business. The two ski resorts became one in 1997, after the leader in the development and management of experiential destination resorts, Intrawest Corporation acquired the Whistler Ski Corporation to create the largest ski area in North America.
The current Principals of LiveWorkLearnPlay (formerly senior executives of Intrawest Corporation) were responsible for the redevelopment the village, including Creekside Village. The team led the planning, redevelopment, leasing and sales process,
and oversaw operations and governance. The result was an enchanting pedestrian-only base village alive with festivals, entertainment, colourful shops, cozy bistros, condominiums and hotels.
WHAT WE HAVE ACHIEVED
- Whistler Village won a number of design awards and has been rated by Conde Nast Traveler readers as the Best Place to Ski & Stay in North America
- Sold out 2,500 residential units in the development
- Introduced several luxury hotels in the Village, such as the Fairmont Chateau Whistler Resort, the Four Seasons and the Pan Pacific Lodge
- As a strong focal point for the region, the Village has a town hall, fire and police station, medical clinic, museum, cinema, library and more than 200 shops and 90 restaurants
- Developed a 2,000-person capacity conference centre in the heart of the Village to turn the resort into a destination for conferences or special events
- Formulated a wide-ranging year-round events program for the resort, which includes an outstanding 200 events annually and the 2010 Winter Olympics